In recent years, the tri-state area has experienced a significant increase in pedestrian injuries and death, increasing 51% since 2009. More trucks, cars and motorcycles fill our streets and drivers are alarmingly distracted by their smartphones, increasing the danger to pedestrians.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 6,205 pedestrians were killed in auto accidents in 2019., while the number of pedestrian fatalities in traffic accidents rose 35 percent from 2008 to 2017. Unsurprisingly, pedestrian deaths due to hit-and-run accidents are also at an all-time high.
Pedestrians injured in car crashes often suffer severe injuries, as they are not protected in any way from the force of the impact. Victims and their family members must cope with significant medical bills, lost income and emotional distress.
Our pedestrian accident attorneys are here to help you navigate this difficult time in your life. We approach the attorney-client relationship with care and sensitivity while using our decades of experience to get you the fair compensation you deserve for your personal injury or wrongful death lawsuit.
What are the Most Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents?
- Negligent Drivers - Negligent and distracted motor vehicle drivers are a leading cause of pedestrian injuries and deaths. Crashes due to Illegal cell phone use by the at-fault driver have risen dramatically in recent years.
- Intoxicated Motorists and Pedestrians - About 47% of crashes leading to the death of a pedestrian involve an intoxicated driver or pedestrian. Drunk drivers are highly likely to ignore traffic signals and violate other traffic laws.
- Speeding - Aggressive motorists who drive above the speed limit and fail to stop at crosswalks in densely populated and urban areas are responsible for many injured pedestrians.
- Running Red Lights - In 2019, 846 people were killed in crashes due to drivers running red lights, with pedestrians constituting a high percentage of the fatalities.
What are the Most Common Injuries Suffered in Pedestrian Accidents?
The majority of pedestrians involved in traffic accidents suffer significant injuries requiring medical treatment. Some of the most common injuries include:
- Broken Bones - Broken bones are the most common injury suffered by pedestrians in car accidents, with commonly broken bones including the arms, wrists, elbows, hips, femur, tibia, ankles and knees.
- Traumatic Brain Injury - When hit by a motor vehicle, pedestrians are often thrown onto the ground, leading to significant head injuries.
- Spinal Cord Injuries - The severe trauma of a collision with a motor vehicle can shatter a pedestrian’s spine, resulting in a lifelong impact upon the victim’s quality of life.
The Rothenberg Law Firm will fight to make sure you are fully compensated for your medical expenses and other losses.
Risks of Electric Scooters: Get the Facts
While electric scooters may be extremely popular, research has suggested that they are also dangerous. When it comes to accidents and personal injuries, the following are facts and figures from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC):
- Per 100,000 e-scooter trips taken, about 20 riders are injured;
- Approximately 50% of all e-scooter injuries are head injuries;
- Around half of all riders who were injured reported sustaining a severe injury, ranging from bone fractures, injuries to a nerve, tendon, or ligament, severe bleeding, and/or organ damage;
- Of the riders who sustained a severe injury, almost 85% suffered a bone fracture along with other types of injuries;
- 50% of e-scooter riders who get injured suffer injuries on streets, while about one-third or 33% sustain injuries in sidewalk accidents; and
- Cars and other motor vehicles factor into about 16% of all e-scooter injuries.
If you were injured in a scooter accident or another pedestrian accident, you should speak with an accident attorney about your case.
Can I Handle My Case on My Own, or do I Need a Pedestrian Accident Attorney?
After an accident, many injured pedestrians hope to settle the matter quickly and move on with their lives as soon as possible. With this in mind, many people try to handle their injury claim on their own, without getting help from a lawyer.
It is important to realize that those representing the negligent party, almost always an insurance company, will be attorneys whose goal is to pay you as little as possible. In many cases, insurance companies will calculate the value of a claim based on how assertive they believe the injured pedestrian will be. When the other side sees that you have retained an attorney to fight for you, they will know that you can’t be taken advantage of.
In certain circumstances, your own insurance policy may be required to compensate you for some or all of your injuries. Our experienced attorneys can ensure that the insurance adjuster properly evaluates the full extent of the damages you have suffered.
It is critically important to obtain essential legal advice from an experienced pedestrian accident lawyer who will fight to protect your legal rights. A pedestrian accident attorney at The Rothenberg Law Firm LLP will take your case on a contingency fee basis, which means our lawyers are only compensated following a successful recovery for you.
What should I do if I have been in a Pedestrian Accident?
First and foremost, attend to your own physical well-being and safety. Even if you think your injuries are minor, it is important to get a medical examination as quickly as possible. Documenting the state of your health following an accident may be crucial later on for a settlement or legal action.
Calling the police is essential, even if the other parties to the accident are friendly and the police appear to be unnecessary. A police report contains critical information that will be important later on.
It is also important to get the names and contact information of any witnesses to the accident. Witnesses are important because they can furnish evidence as to whose negligence caused your injuries.
Try to document the scene of the accident by taking photos of the road conditions, vehicles involved in the accident and any other information about the accident.
Finally, contact a pedestrian accident lawyer as soon as possible. An attorney can gather the necessary experts to bolster your claim against the negligent party and maximize your compensation.
Call Today for a Free Consultation with an Experienced Personal Injury Attorney for Help with your Pedestrian Accident Case
If you or a loved one has suffered a pedestrian injury, the experienced personal injury lawyers at The Rothenberg Law Firm LLP can provide the legal help you need to manage your pedestrian injury case and maximize your financial compensation. Contact us at 1-800-624-8888 or fill out a free online case evaluation form. The initial consultation and case review are always FREE. If we pursue your case, there is no legal fee unless we are successful in getting you money.
Timing is important because the statute of limitations affects how long you have to file a pedestrian accident claim. Don’t delay, contact The Rothenberg Law Firm today.
The Rothenberg Law Firm services clients in New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania with co-counsel throughout the United States.